Thin But Persistent Regrowth of Myelin Layers Sign of Health in CNS, Study Says

Thin But Persistent Regrowth of Myelin Layers Sign of Health in CNS, Study Says

Remyelination is characterized by the presence of thin myelin sheaths. Diameter wise, these new myelin sheaths are thinner than the original myelin layers. While some studies suggest that the myelin layer eventually returns to the original diameter, others suggest that it stay thin.

Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison believe that remyelinated sheaths remain thin, and previously  described observing predominantly thin myelin sheaths in a canine with a demyelinating disorder. But this view remains controversial.

The team, for this reason, conducted a long-term study of two animal models of demyelination.

The first model, studied for more than a decade, was a dog with a genetic developmental delay in myelination. The dogs formed thin myelin sheaths in ways similar to changes seen in remyelinated nerves.

Researchers showed that in this animal model the myelin sheaths remained thin and stable on many axons (nerve cells projections) during the dog’s lifetime, and that these thinner-than-usual myelin sheaths had no detrimental effects on the axons’ ability to transmit nerve impulses or signals.

Next, they studied cats that were undergoing remyelination due to a demyelinating disease. In this animal model, there was significant demyelination of the spinal cord and the optic (eye) nerves. The researchers followed these cats for two years, and demonstrated that the thin myelin sheaths persisted over this period.

“We found that nearly every optic nerve fiber was remyelinated with a thin myelin sheath, which is important for understanding human disease because in multiple sclerosis, the optic nerve is often the first to be demyelinated,” Ian Duncan, the study’s first author, said in a news release.

Overall, researchers demonstrated the importance of remyelination via the production of thin myelin sheaths in the long-term health and function of the CNS. More significantly, they confirmed that the best way of evaluating the health of remyelination and its central nervous system benefits is the persistence of thin myelin sheaths.

1. GARY SHAMBLEN says:

Great. that’s what all us MSers need yo know for our dog or cat. All joking aside, what can we MS patients do toward achieving remyelination?

2. huri tursan says:

torturing mice, cats, dogs by dehumanizing them by calling them ‘models’. Not in my name as I totally disapprove of vivisection as this type of research is nothing but vivisection and instead of boasting of results it should not be allowed.

• Suzanne Hughes says:

I don’t like the idea of using animals for testing, but it gives scientists a basis to see what will work and what won’t work. Did you want to offer yourself to scientists to test on? I think not, haha!

3. Sherry Leighton says:

Having ms is no joke. I have a support group on Facebook called MS Stories. Please feel free to join and share your story. Love n light to you all. ??

4. Sam Bennett says:

Your disapproval is noted and summarily dismissed. This is excellent news that offers some real hope for those of us saddled with MS. Now to find a good (and affordable) treatment to promote relational.

5. Josie says:

Vitamin D actually does help to remyelinate!! Check out the Coimbra Protocol!! Also check out Progesterone to assist with remyelination. The research on Progesterone is old, but it’s out there!!

6. Gail Williams says:

This sounded so good and hopeful until I read the part about age haviing a big factor for this. Figures everything else is not helping. Sorry for being a downer.

• haslie kemp says:

Not for me either since I am 78 and have had MS for 35 years or more. But one thing my Doctor said is that the older I get my immune system in not as active and not attacking me nervous system and she call it “leveling off”

7. Albert Matarazzo says:

I am suffering from MS. Everything I read about MS is in the research stage, or it worked on a rat. I have been going to the same doctor for six years now every three months. Every time I read about stem cell treatment or a new Trial or remyelination I say how about me and I am always met with a negative response. I am on the internet every day looking for any new developments related to MS. I am tiered of looking for false hope. I don’t think there will be any major developments in my lifetime so I’m going to just manage my pain as best I can, and pray for a cure for future generations.