Probiotics Consumption May Improve Certain Disease Parameters in MS Patients, Study Suggests

Probiotics may improve the health of people with multiple sclerosis (MS) by reducing disability and improving inflammatory and metabolic parameters, an Iranian study shows.

The study, “Clinical and metabolic response to probiotic supplementation in patients with multiple sclerosis: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” appeared in the journal Clinical Nutrition.

Live microorganisms linked to health benefits, known as probiotics, have long been known to help chronic disease patients. In a previous study of people with major depressive disorder, probiotics treatment for eight weeks improved patients’ depression and metabolic parameters.

More recently, authors investigated the impact of probiotics on a group of MS patients, looking not only at mental health and metabolic indicators, but also  disability scores. Researchers at Tehran’s Shahid Beheshti Hospital recruited 60 MS patients, divided them in half, and assigned 30 to take a probiotic capsule and 30 a placebo once a day for 12 weeks.

The probiotic contained the healthy bacteria Lactobacillus acidophilusLactobacillus caseiBifidobacterium bifidum and Lactobacillus fermentum. Researchers measured patients’ health parameters and disability scores at baseline and after treatment.

The results showed that probiotic intake after 12 weeks improved MS patients’ disability scores (assessed by the expanded disability status scale, EDSS) when compared to placebo controls. Although this improvement was statistically significant, it was not clinically significant — which is defined as a change of 1.0 point or more at EDSS levels less than 5.5, or 0.5 point or more at EDSS levels greater than 5.5).

Moreover, benefits were also detected in several mental health parameters – Beck Depression Inventory, general health questionnaire-28 (GHQ-28), depression anxiety and stress scale.

Consuming probiotic capsules also significantly decreased insulin levels and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in circulation, researchers also found. It also lowered certain markers of inflammation and oxidative stress, such as serum high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) and malondialdehyde (MDA).

“Our study demonstrated that the use of probiotic capsule for 12 weeks among subjects with MS had favorable effects on EDSS, parameters of mental health, inflammatory factors, markers of insulin resistance, HDL-, total/HDL-cholesterol and MDA levels,” the team concluded.

1. Tracy Shudo says:

I have been taking a Probiotic with a special coating so it gets the best results. I have also been taking a special little yellow pill along with one that helps NRF1. What does these mean you are asking. Well I have been dignosed with MS for 23 years in the last 12 months my mobility was just getting worse and worse. I am a 55 year old lady that thinks she can do everything. Well there have been ups and downs in the last 23 years. But in only 8 weeks of taking the little yellow pill my life has change. I am walking better, sleeping better, waking up feeling rested. What more do we ask for. Not much. This is not a cure but for me one big ass HELP. I am more than willing to share if anyone would like anymore info. Tracy Vancouver

• Fran LeBeau says:

What is the special little yellow pill? What is the pill that you take for NRF1? I have also had MS for 23 years, and I am happy to say that I am doing great. Always on the lookout for additional supplements to add to compliment my current treatments.

• Diana says:

Hi Trudy

I have been diagnosed with MS for the past 10 years and my mobility is dreadful. Please share with me your secrets! What a challenging condition this is!

To health!
      Diana

• Tracy says:

Hi Tracy! I’m a Tracy too! I’m 57yrs young lady from Southern Calif. I was officially dx’d 5/2003, although I experienced mild symptoms abt 12-15yrs before.
      ANYway… What is the name of that yellow pill? I had my gallbladder removed in 1989. My Dr gave me a yellow capsule, in it was what looked like little tiny balls or marbles. I forget the name of that med, but I think I need something like it again! My “Gut” had always been problematic and now with the meds I take for ms, I’m certain it’s all messed up! I haven’t been using probiotics or any other Gut treatments, but it’s time to start again- I just don’t know where to begin!! Currently I’m taking a VERY strong antibiotic course for 10days. I was instructed to eat Activia yogurt while taking this antibiotic for probiotic replacement.
      I’d like to take a capsule form because I’m dairy sensitive. What works for you? Thanks in advance for your help! ? Have a Great Day, Tracy!! Best Wishes, Tracy.

• Heather says:

Tracy,
        I also have MS (newly diagnosed @ 44 yo) and had my gall bladder removed over 10 years ago. There definitely seems to be a correlation to diet and gut health, not to mention the role of Vitamin D. I am very intrigued, especially considering I am refraining from meds at this time. Any pointers anyone?

2. Dan says:

Tracy this special little yellow pill sounds very interesting. I am 28 and was diagnosed with MS at 21. I have quite an aggressive form of MS and im looking to stay as healthy and as active as i can for aslong as possible.

Any information would be greaatly appreciated.

Speak Soon,

Dan

3. FB says:

“Consuming probiotic capsules also significantly decreased …. high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in circulation…”

Well that’s a bit of a worry for people who are trying to maintain appropriate HDL levels as part of their management of cardio-vascular risks or disease

4. mary ohana says:

Hi Tracy plese could yoou tell me the priobiotic nd little yellow pill you hve been taking which betters your condition so I cantry it for my MS. Thanks mary